A New Chapter

Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Last Class Rep

Probably many of you have noticed that I have adopted the name of the Last Class Rep and I think I am ready to finally unveil myself as it.

I'm going to point back to the movie and mix it in with my past experiences to help you recognize what I am saying.

In the beginning of my years at Faith I will describe myself as Captain Nathan Algren when he was still fighting the indians. As he went more and more through the stupid mistakes of guys like Custer, he becomes more and mroe anger and disgusted with his surroundings and himself. I too was on the battlefield at Tecumseh. Trust me, it is evil. My time at Tecumseh reminds me of the Strongman's liar from This Present Darkness.

By the time I reached the end of my sophomore year, I was just like Nathan doing the gun shows. Disgusted with everyone around me. Tired of everything because of the past mistakes. But my Junior year I thought could be a second chance like when Captain Algren goes over to Japan to train their forces. The only problem with both of us was that our personal demons were still with us. But we came out fighting like a tiger which step up our true changing.

Captain Algren learns the just ways of the Samurai, recognizes what is truly important in the world around him (except for Christ of course), and is finally able to forgive himself for the atrocities he had committed. Unfortunately, what he finally realizes dies out in his mentors and goes on in life with a changed heart. He becomes the Last Samurai.

I got a second chance with Faith with my counseling. Thank goodness I had that opportunity because now I realize what is truly important. Who cares when certain mistakes are made with superficial stuff, who cares if I don't have a girl friend, just plainly, who cares if I am not being noticed. I, we, just need to go through our lives realizing we need to always be serving and praising God- Eph 5:20 always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father.

I am calling myself the Last Class Rep because I will never be Class Rep again, but I took in my heart the lesson of the best Class Rep - 1 John 3:18 (paraphased) Do not love your brother merely with words, but through deed and truth. So I promise to go through this senior year looking to serve the ones around me. I wish I would have been a much better class rep, but at least the future is looking brighter and brighter each day.

So, until next time,
The Last Class Rep

1 Comments:

  • At 7:52 AM, Blogger Roxy said…

    Andy-
    this is a really good post.
    I am glad that you are mature
    enough to see what
    others in our grade,age, and day cannot. Good Luck to your future!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home