A New Chapter

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Institutionalize

There are very few shows that I make sure to watch, but usually I always try to watch the show 30 days by Morgan Spurlock. You might know him from the movie Super Size Me in which he eat nothing but McDonald's for 30 days. I really like his show because he really does test things in reality. Last night's episode which was a rerun was about our Jail system. Morgan ended up spending 30 days in jail. The movie remind me ALOT of the Shawshank Redemption. This guys get so used to jail because you just sleep and eat that they can't handle the outside world. Pretty sad, but I think it is a major problem instead of something written by Stephen King.

I think maybe we high school students have this problem. College is quite different. In high school, teaching is Teacher supportive while College is Student Supportive. Basically, the teachers about you in high school, but definitely not in college. From what I noticed from a few freshmen this year, I think that have the syndrome. They hae gotten too use to high school that it is really hard for them adjust. I hope they keep going because eventually they will change.

Another thing I what to warn about is maybe us Christians become too institutionalized. We become to use to our church, our friends, and our school that when a real challenge arises, we too quickly just give up and run away. I know I personally tried to do that this summer. I was doing everything to convince my parents to let me move to TN with my aunt and uncle. I felt uncomfortable around my friends, my school, and even in my home. Luckily, when I didn't get the chance to move, I turned to God. In the summer, I had a lot of time to think about things and I know I did alot of praying and devotions because of the amount of free time.

I just want to warn you all because on the show last night, an inmat of Morgan who had been just released after serving most of his life in jail, was arrested 2 weeks later. Yeah, 2 WEEKS. So, my brethen, watch out for becoming too repetitive. We need to live for God instead of just going through the motions.

Until Next Time,
The Last Class Rep

2 Comments:

  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger turza said…

    sad. i cant imagine what it would be like to throw my life away like that. Thanks for being supportive about us freshies. I have a love/hate relationship with the whole thing. I love it most of the time. its so awesome to have different buildings for every class (ok so im weird) and a million choices for everything. I love listening to my ipod between classes. and wearing whatever i stinking want to! i love randomly meeting new people. But i miss not knowing everyone (sometimes) :) im excited about what lies ahead. I honestly have nearly no clue, but for now: Boiler up!

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger Jenni said…

    Ya Andy Sunday should be great fun! Thanks for the support, College is actually going a WHOLE lot better, i think i like it now, most of the time anyway! It can be really fun! Big change, but it's a good one!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home